Exactly one month from now, (October 11-13, 2013) childbirth educators, doulas, midwives, doctors, L&D nurses, lactation consultants and informed consumers will be gathering in New Orleans, LA for the Lamaze International 2013 Annual Conference, “Let the Good Times Roll for Safe and Healthy Birth” If you are on the fence about attending, I have put together my own “Top Ten Reasons for Attending the 2013 Conference” in hopes that you will considering joining others in this wonderful opportunity for networking and learning.
1. Have fun in New Orleans, a wonderful southeastern coastal city full of great food, interesting neighborhoods, wonderful music and sweet hospitality! Enjoy the conference’s major social event during an evening of traditional Creole entertainment and cuisine at Café Soule in the French Quarter. Click here to find out how you can be a part of this great party and purchase tickets to this exciting event
2. See old friends from conferences past. This one of the best things about going to a conference. When you attend, you have the chance to see the birth professionals that you connect with throughout the year online and on the phone, and rarely get a chance to visit with in person. Imagine three whole days to chat, visit and learn with your best birth buddies. Some of my dearest friends I only see at the Lamaze conference, and I cherish the time I get to spend with them.
3. Meet new friends and establish new relationships that can grow and flourish! There will be so many interesting people from all over the world attending the annual conference. This year, we will have LCCEs from Romania and Mexico and many other countries as well as men and women from all over the United States and Canada. It is easy to mix and mingle with people new to you, find out interesting things and establish new friendships!
4. 19 Lamaze International contact hours are available to you when you attend all the conference sessions, and participation in pre-conference workshops will award you even more! The Lamaze International Annual conference is being planned for CNE, IBCLC CERPs and Yoga Alliance Credits. Lamaze International is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
5. Learn fun, childbirth class activities, creative teaching ideas and new topics and information to use in your childbirth classes. See childbirth educators and other experts in action, providing you the opportunity to take away loads of useful material for to use when you go back home.
6. Learn about new research, evidence based information and best practices that you can take back to your communities to help improve maternal infant outcomes for women and families. Leaders in the field will share the newest information with you. Use this new information in your classes, offering the latest facts to your families so they can make informed choices.
7. Hear two fabulous keynote speakers present in our two general sessions. Dr. Richard Waldman, OB/Gyn and Amber McCann, IBCLC are all ready to knock your socks off with their presentations designed just for our conference. Read Dr. Waldman and Amber McCann‘s interviews on Science & Sensibility and then hear them speak in New Orleans.
8. Attend fantastic pre-conference sessions on a variety of topics by arriving in New Orleans a few days early! Complete a Lamaze Childbirth Education Seminar, one step on the path to becoming an LCCE. Brush up on your lactation support skills in the full day Lamaze Specialist Breastfeeding Support Skills Workshop or take part in the half day workshops to bring yoga into your Lamaze class or increase your digital presence through learning social media and advanced internet skills. All of these pre-conference activities offer additional Lamaze contact hours.
9. Learn about new and exciting opportunities and alliances that Lamaze International has planned for the future to continue to grow our organization and remain a leader in the field of childbirth education. Our Annual Meeting luncheon will be held on Saturday, where you can meet the Lamaze board and staff, vote for new board of directors and provide input on how the organization is meeting your needs.
10. Network with colleagues and experts and establish professional relationships with opportunity for collaboration and joint-ventures. Discuss business opportunities and create new alliances that can help you further your career and grow your business.
Bonus Reason #11! Come say hello to me! I will be in New Orleans, excitedly participating in several ways at the conference and would love the chance to meet you all, hear your thoughts on our blog and learn what you would like to see on the blog in the future!
Won’t you consider attending this year’s Lamaze International Conference in New Orleans, LA? What are some of your favorite reasons to attend the conference? Will we see you there? Let us know in the comments section. To learn more about the programs, speakers, learning opportunities, venue and to register, please see our conference page. See ya in NOLA!